Kotgarh – Welcoming the new bride

Here are pictures of a marriage I nearly missed in my village in Kotgarh. These pictures are of the day when the new bride is introduced to the family clan. I was just in time to catch up with the festivities. Once all the guests leave, it is the turn of the family members to be introduced and to welcome the new member in the family. The highlight of the day is when the bride dances with the ladies in the family. A nice way to get the bride adjust in the new surroundings. Mind you it’s a day full of fun for everyone in Kotgarh.

The Natti is started by the male members. A wake up call for the ladies to join too 🙂 as the ladies are still busy inside the house. Marriages in Kotgarh are marked with fun and gaiety.

Natti starts in kotgarh

natti at a marriage in kotgarh

kotgarh marriage natti

And the Natti picks up tempo. Kids too join the party.

another pic of natti in kotgarh

ladies in a natti in kotgarh

ladies and gents in natti in kotgarh

Finally, it is all ladies affair now. That is the bride and the mother-in-law dancing at number 1 & 2. First step of welcoming the new member in the family. This natti goes on for hours.

ladies natti in kotgarh marriage

Ladies all decked in pahari attire. This dress is called resta with a sleeveless jacket called saluka. The lady in the second pic (from left) is a former Indian women cricketer. Kotgarh ladies look smart. Don’t they?

ladies of kotgarh in traditional dress

another pic of ladies in traditionl dress in kotgarh

The bajanntris (musicians) play a very important role in the whole marriage. They are bade farewell after this ceremony.First pic from left is of a karnal, in the middle is the toori, a localised shehnai and the entire crew in the last pic.

musicians in kotgarh

toori musician in kotgarh

musicians crew in kotgarh

Pictures of the valley around the village in Kotgarh with Satluj making it’s way, the mountains and the Himalayas just across.

satluj valley kotgarh

the mountains in kotgarh

snowline as seen from Kotgarh

And here is Kaveri, the daughter practicing sliding at home in Kotgarh on her own. The girl has got rid of the initial fear of the slide. Two and a half years old and the girl has started enjoying the life now.

kaveri in kotgarh

kaveri in kotgarh another pic

kaveri kotgarh pictures

I have also posted pictures on Festivities at Stokes house in Kotgarh and Trip back home to Kotgarh.

32 Responses to "Kotgarh – Welcoming the new bride"

1. Surender   July 3, 2009 at 5:39 am

Bhaiji, Aapne yaad dila dee meri May ki chuttiyon ki, jab main ek shaai attend karne gaya thaaa. Bas farak itna thaa ki main dulhan ki taraf se thaaa.

• NITYIN   July 3, 2009 at 6:05 am

Bhai, it is here in the hinterlands that we still find a feel of our roots. I attended a marriage in Shimla of a friend from Baghi and there was the DJ, the dance floor and I was feeling a misfit in the whole gathering. Here in the village, food for dham is cooked by the villagers themselves on both the days. I do the easier work of misa n pla and serving the food 🙂

2. Surender   July 3, 2009 at 5:39 am

3. Surender   July 3, 2009 at 11:09 am

• NITYIN   July 3, 2009 at 11:35 am

4. Geetali   July 3, 2009 at 1:57 pm

What a great post! Thank you for allowing a peek into this world, not often open to strangers and outsiders. Love the revelry, the musicians and the woman cricketer. But best of all is your little girl practising sliding 🙂

• NITYIN   July 3, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Thanks for liking the pics! With the little girl there is no single dull moment. Based on the quantum increase in her naughtiness these days, am planning to send her to a play school here in the village now!!

5. Geetali   July 3, 2009 at 7:27 pm

• NITYIN   July 3, 2009 at 10:18 pm

6. Rohit Sharma   August 6, 2009 at 11:50 pm

Wonderful pictures and our rich country dressing, seems nice lovely weather @ the time of this welcome.

To watch kids playing around is a blessing…

7. Rohit Sharma   August 7, 2009 at 5:20 am

To watch kids playing around is a blessing…

8. smriti kanwar   August 19, 2009 at 10:26 am

hey dat ws really a wonderful post…
    it reminds me of my gud n sweet childhood days in kotgarh..
    nw m at chd n barely cud get time 2 go back 2 kotgarh which is ma nanihal (or nanka in pahari).
    miss ma village, HP n ma old days a lot…..
    thanx again 4 makin me feel like home.

• NITYIN   August 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Smriti for dropping in and liking the post

• NITYIN   August 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Thanks Smriti for dropping in and liking the post

9. smriti kanwar   August 19, 2009 at 3:56 pm

hey dat ws really a wonderful post…
    it reminds me of my gud n sweet childhood days in kotgarh..
    miss ma village, HP n ma old days a lot…..
    thanx again 4 makin me feel like home.

• NITYIN   August 21, 2009 at 5:50 pm

Thanks Smriti for dropping in and liking the post

10. sachin   August 30, 2009 at 9:13 am

hey nic pic…………m 2 miss my home….r these pic some where near shamatla……….?

• NITYIN   August 30, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Welcome Sachin. These pics are of Bahli village

• Aparna   October 1, 2009 at 1:50 am

Hi Thanks very much for sharing these pictures. I am so happy that i chanced upon this site. My late father was from Bahli and I have fond memories visiting when I was a child. Infact a while ago (20 yrs) I was part of a similar wedding celebration and even today i remember it very vividly. Actually these pictures bough tears to my eyes since I live very very very(far) away from home. Thanks again for sharing. God bless

• NITYIN   October 1, 2009 at 5:17 am

Many thanks for visiting and for your comments!

With onset of October (Shauj and Kati in pahari) the marriage season starts again. We have a couple of marriages lined up here. Watch this space for more action 🙂

Incidentally these pictures are from Bahli only. Small world!!

• Deepak K. Thakur   November 5, 2009 at 9:01 am

Hi Aparna,

Good to see your note on this great blog. Hope you, your children & husband are well & happy in the far away US of A. I keep meeting your mom & sister each time either in RV or at the railway station.

Love, Deepak.

Hi Nitin,

Really nice pictures & comments. Made me feel quite nostalgic & realize what we non resident Kotgarus miss. Love, Deepak.

• Deepak K. Thakur   November 5, 2009 at 9:01 am

Hi Aparna,

Love, Deepak.

Hi Nitin,

• Aparna   October 1, 2009 at 1:50 am

• NITYIN   August 30, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Welcome Sachin. These pics are of Bahli village

11. sachin   August 30, 2009 at 9:13 am

hey nic pic…………m 2 miss my home….r these pic some where near shamatla……….?

12. sachin   August 30, 2009 at 2:43 pm

hey nic pic…………m 2 miss my home….r these pic some where near shamatla……….?

• NITYIN   August 30, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Welcome Sachin. These pics are of Bahli village

• Aparna   October 1, 2009 at 7:20 am

• NITYIN   October 1, 2009 at 10:47 am

Many thanks for visiting and for your comments!

Incidentally these pictures are from Bahli only. Small world!!

• Deepak K. Thakur   November 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Hi Aparna,

Love, Deepak.

Hi Nitin,

13. Shivee Sirmauri   March 22, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Nityin, itz a lovely post.. a sneek-a-peak to what, i will experience in future… (actually …want to) lovely shaddi, ladies, culture.. i am so desperate to b a part of. :):)

14. NITYIN   March 23, 2010 at 1:35 pm

What's stopping you.. 🙂 I mean why such a long wait now? Miyan biwi raazi to kya karega…. 🙂