Love Stories of Shimla Hills by Minakshi Chaudhry released

minakshi

Shimla: The famous Shimla based author Minakshi Chaudhry is back with her new book, Love Stories of Shimla Hills, which was released by the Himachal Chief Minister Prof. Dhumal at Shimla today.

This is her ninth book in a row.

The present book has stories about the Scandal Point, it talks about the real scandal that happened in the Oak Over.

It also peeps into Edwina and Jawaharlal Nehru’s love story. According to the book, their special relationship developed and matured in Shimla.

‘Love in Shimla’ is the real love story of filmstar Sadhna, who fell in love with a film director in Shimla, and the story of Shanta, a bright, young girl who was the most promising sportsperson in Himachal in early eighties.

The book has many more real stories of love including the first internet marriage at Shimla and a Love Story of a Ghost.

Minakshi Chaudhry did her schooling from Nigeria where she spent her formative years and on her return to Himachal she travelled extensively reporting news and events for the Indian Express. A keen observer of culture and people’s lifestyle, she has travelled across the continents.

She is author of nine books which include an anthology and a book where she is a co-author. She is best known for the book Ghost Stories of Shimla Hills which was a best seller and the following Whispering Deodars, Destination Himachal, Himachal: A Guide to the Land of Gods.

13 Responses to "Love Stories of Shimla Hills by Minakshi Chaudhry released"

1. Roshan Jaswal   August 13, 2010 at 5:15 pm

कंवर जी को बधाई। स्‍टोरी में राकेश कंवर जी का जिक्र नहीं आया। कंवर जी फोटो में है कंवर जी हिमाचल प्रशासनिक सेवा में है और स‍ाहित्यिक रूचि रखते है। खैर पुन पुस्‍तक प्रकाशन के लिए कंवर परिवार को बधाई

2. Roshan Jaswal   August 13, 2010 at 10:45 pm

3. Juiin   August 19, 2010 at 9:46 am

I wish Meenakshi stuck to her travelogues. I read Meenakshi first with her ghost stories. While I appreciated her research work, I wish she had got a ghost writer to help her write the stories. She is not a fiction writer or for that matter a literature writer. She is a research writer and I was disappointed that she ruined the flavour of stories in her book. Meanwhile I reiterate that I respect for the courage she showed for her research. I know that she was even arrested by the Army for and was almost tried for spying while on her pursuit to feel the ghosts at the burnt down Army Hospital in Shimla.

Now when I heard about the Love Stories…. my immediate reaction was O not again. And I was not disappointed with myself when I read the book. Again the research work is exemplary and she got Shanta of the O Laadi Shanta fame to narrate the truth.

Since the love stories have a myth around them and folklorish in nature, I wish Meenakshi had a more understanding of English literature and more command over rhyme, metre and prose. It would have helped had she maintained that folklorish rhyme in the book. She breaks between personal narration to some other arbitrarily throwing literature nuances to wind. Though her Ghost Stories book had a Foreword from Ruskin Bond, but a lot was desired to reach the level of Mr Bond. In fact my suggestion to Meenakshi would be to read Plain Tales From Hills by Rusyard Kipling to see how narration, folk and the hills go hand in hand.

My wishes are with Meenakshi, but I hope somday she can go back and come up with a revised edition of her books with much lyricism in her book. may be I hit the nail. Her love stories are devoid of lyricism. May be she can even take inspiration from Oscar Wilde’s “The Nightingale and the Rose” or even ST Coleridge’s “Kubla Khan” and “Rime of the Ancient Mariner” how fantasy like ghost stories can be taken to heights. Get reminded of the spooky stories by Indian writer Satyajit Ray as well. She can read him too.

Meanwhile, I’ll suggest Meenakshi to not rape literature and restrict herself to travelogues, which she is good at. Particularly research work.

4. Juiin   August 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

• ashwanikaul   August 24, 2010 at 10:16 pm

what meenakshi has to say , lets see.

5. harsh   August 30, 2010 at 12:40 pm

i hope this will also have nice love stories like stories of her last books..
    lets c wat it hav..

6. harsh   August 30, 2010 at 12:40 pm

i hope this will also have nice love stories like stories of her last books..
    lets c wat it hav..

7. harsh   August 30, 2010 at 6:10 pm

i hope this will also have nice love stories like stories of her last books..
    lets c wat it hav..

8. harsh   August 30, 2010 at 12:44 pm

my sweet & lovely friend mitashi love to read ur book & even i knw abt realeasing of this book by her only…i hope she will like it & u will realease more books like till nw ,in future also.. …

9. harsh   August 30, 2010 at 6:14 pm

10. Kamal sharma   September 8, 2010 at 10:10 am

The book is positively a much better attempt than the “Ghost Stories…’. Loved reading some exemplary love stories from the hills.

11. Kamal sharma   September 8, 2010 at 3:40 pm

12. Nikisimplest   July 28, 2011 at 5:27 pm

i love ech n evry thng realtd 2 shimla ..either its softty…or d ghosts or d love stories or d ppl..!!