Plastic free campaign in Himachal from Dec 21

Himachal Live in a story dated 5th June 2009, Himachal struggles with Plastic Ban, had advocated opening of collection centers and incentives to citizens upon returning back the plastic garbage. It is heartening to note that the Chief Minister Prof. Prem Kumar Dhumal has heeded to the suggestion and the government is now opening garbage collection centers which will be operated by the PWD department and the waste after being shredded will be used for building roads.

Speaking in Shimla the chief minister said, “Use of the plastic for mettling of the roads would be next step in making Himachal Pradesh plastic free state in the country. The government is considering some incentives for the local bodies that will be involved in the collection of scattered polythene bags.”

He informed the state government would even collect the plastic waste from the rag pickers etc. who too could be given incentives for the collection suitably.

Himachal government will start a state-wide week long campaign from December 21 to clean the plastic and polythene bags from residential and hill areas. The campaign would also associate the urban local bodies and panchayati raj institutions to make the campaign a mass movement to achieve the objective.

Cheers to citizen journalism!

7 Responses to "Plastic free campaign in Himachal from Dec 21"

1. Abhishek   December 9, 2009 at 7:21 am

Indeed, its a great news.Cheers to you for your story!!!. But some think tanks have raised concerns over entry/import of outside plastic into state. Hope that is taken care of.

• NITYIN   December 9, 2009 at 8:45 am

Knowing the way people try and find loopholes the concerns are not unfounded but atleast now people will have some incentive to return back the plastic waste. Nice begining.. Much will depend how it is implemented.

2. Abhishek   December 9, 2009 at 12:21 pm

• NITYIN   December 9, 2009 at 1:45 pm

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention Plastic free campaign in Himachal from Dec 21 | Himachal Live -- Topsy.com

4. kotgarh   December 27, 2009 at 5:53 pm

I am proud of this initiative. On my recent visit to Shimla I found the place much cleaner. I braved my shopping items in a flimsy paperbag which gave way by the time I was home but I didn’t fret.

The only way to make it a success is if it has overwhelmingly support of the businesses and individuals in the region. Education could have more effect than opening it as a pay as you go scheme.

– Does anybody know how well this plastic collection campaign fared.
    .-= kotgarh´s last blog ..Morning of Seasons Second Snowfall – Dec 14th, 2009 [Kotgarh – Batnal – Narkanda] =-.

5. kotgarh   December 27, 2009 at 10:53 pm

– Does anybody know how well this plastic collection campaign fared.