Shimla gets ladies only buses

Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) introduced two buses for ladies under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission. These buses will operate on the Circular Road route from 7 am to 8 pm. HRTC Managing Director Somesh Goel said the objective was to give women a better deal as reports of their harassment by anti-social elements in buses were on the rise. Depending on the demand, buses would be introduced to other routes too, he said.

The Himachal Pradesh High Court has already directed the government that the convenience and security of women should be given priority while deciding on a better traffic management plan for Shimla. Though the government is yet to strictly implement the high court’s direction to ensure reservation of seats in buses,  introduction of Ladies Special bus service has come as a relief for the women in the state capital.

14 Responses to "Shimla gets ladies only buses"

1. VarunM   December 8, 2009 at 11:25 am

“reports of their harassment by anti-social elements in buses”
    I don’t agree with this at all. I think it might be few complaints thats being hyped and given as an excuse. I haven’t witnessed any anti-social activities towards women thats a cause for alarm of any sort.
    A few complaints and they introduce 2 buses for women, when in fact it took them 10 years to get the bus doors permanently closed during travel after numerous complaints and deaths that too.
    The only thing that happens nowadays is no seats are given to women by seated passengers if the bus is full. Thats a more legitimate reason for this action i think.

2. VarunM   December 8, 2009 at 4:25 pm

“reports of their harassment by anti-social elements in buses”

3. NITYIN   December 8, 2009 at 11:48 am

I am certainly not happy with the idea of having ladies special buses in Shimla. This means the govt now accepts that the ladies are not safe in Shimla. Have things become so bad? May be some ladies from Shimla can dwell on this. I can understand the buses are crowded, ladies have to travel standing but giving the plea that ladies are harassed in buses so they should have separate buses is a bloody shame on our authorities.

Next, if there will be eve-teasing on Mall, what will our govt. do? Introduce burkas???

PS:- The MD, HRTC is a IPS officer..!!!

4. NITYIN   December 8, 2009 at 4:48 pm

PS:- The MD, HRTC is a IPS officer..!!!

5. Shivee Sirmauri   December 8, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Hey…Hey… Hold on boys… First of all don’t feel jealous of the “Mahila Special Bus.” Secondly, harassment by anti-social elements in buses and eve teasing is not a fabricated thing. Most of the cases are unreported or ignored… but if I start sharing mine or my frnz stories I will have to start a whole new blog on it. Sooo many times I have threatened “The Dougie craps” on bus that I will dig them in bus or slap them rite back. But so many young girls have told me that they were literally harassed by middle aged “horny men” on bus who board a bus with such a cruel intention. So, discussing this matter like this is something I don’t expect from “Two most descent males” I know. You should be proud that your state has shown at least a trivial concern for women. And yaa.. Varun, I never regret standing on an overcrowded bus, sandwiched between so many passengers everyday, because I know how to teach a permanent lesson to an idiot with devil’s mind. But I am happy for those ladies who expect Chivalry from today’s men. At least they will find it great… N yaa.. Nityn, Govt. will not introduce burkas for us, but girls will screw such as******!!! Wese “Mahila Special” me travel karna was an awesome experience..!!!!

• Shikha   December 8, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I agree with Shivani, as only girls know what all crap they have to face in the jampacked buses, when the ill-intentioned men don’t leave a single chance to touch a girl sitting or standing next to them. We must remember, there have been quite a few labor class people migrating to Himachal, who often abuse and pass cheap remarks to girls on the roads and even in buses. I think the authorities should pursue the overall eve-teasing cause with even stronger determination. There’s no second thought about the fact that Shimla is no more safer for girls as it ever used it to be.

6. Shivee Sirmauri   December 8, 2009 at 5:21 pm

• Shikha   December 8, 2009 at 5:42 pm

7. Abhishek Sharma   December 8, 2009 at 4:58 pm

But I feel it may create more of a problem to women who have to commute in other buses on many occasions out of urgency, and at that moment men may see them as an intruder around and play taunts for obvious reasons. Is there any quota of seats reserved for women in ordinary buses? Is that really enforced? Is there any helpline no. displayed in buses of Shimla for women to report instances of eve teasing and harassment? The step seems like to please women folks but instead of this our Govt. should empower women to report such instances with timely action as well. I Know its difficult amid kind of system we have in place but a step in this direction would be worth a try if women comes forward and make Govt understand the problem based on available figures of complaints numbers/resolved complaints and demand action and devise effective measures to tackle the menace.

8. Abhishek Sharma   December 8, 2009 at 9:58 pm

9. Neetika   December 8, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Finally Shimla Adm has woken up to the dismal situation for women in Shimla. I myself have had several such encounters way back in 99-2000, and seriously doubt if things have changed.
    And is it not just some stray incidents. When I was in college, this was an every day occurrence, and by what I know the situation is no better even now.
    And anyway, if “progressive, safe” Bombay can have Ladies special trains I think it is only fair for Shimla Adm to run such buses.

10. Neetika   December 8, 2009 at 11:34 pm

11. NITYIN   December 9, 2009 at 8:42 am

The ladies of Shimla are unanimous in their verdict that there is much harassment in buses. Now Shivee, we are not jealous that ladies have a special buses marked to them. The point here is what is the government doing about this. You cannot separate the two in a society. Fine, you have a bus to travel alone. What happens if the stalker starts after you from the bus stop to your home? What happens if the same ‘boys’ start teasing at the bus stop while waiting for the bus?

If such is the condition of women in buses we the citizens and government need to hang our heads in shame. If we think the problem will fade away because of this new step.. No way!!

12. NITYIN   December 9, 2009 at 1:42 pm