So, what do you do?

Recently I completed three years working from home. I had earlier posted about my initiallaptops days on work from home. Things did not change much but I have now accepted the situation and deal it my own way. I later shifted to Kotgarh in April 2009 after my son was born. Big thanks to BSNL for launching the broadband service in the hills, a life line for my kind of work.

It has been busy marriage season in Kotgarh and met a lot many relatives and friends. The first point of conversation is, “So what do you do?” Putting the idea of working from home takes some effort. In a traditional society like mine where doctor-engineers still are at the top of the vocation hierarchy a mere mortal like me is dismissed instantly! Now the best part are the following questions. “You left your regular job?” I reply in affirmative. “And where you used to work?” I tell them about my previous job. “You actually left a regular government job?” is the retort with an astonished look! I stopped short of blurting that now only corrupt people work in the government and I was feeling a little left-out. Better sense prevailed as I realized that the one asking was in ‘government service’ himself.

“So why did you leave?” is how the conversation leads. Now this is something which needs some explanation. Why people in Himachal will go to any length to be in the service? Mainly because of the power and prestige which comes with the job. I grew up in the pre 1991 era when it was only the government sector everywhere. A typical visit to my father’s friends house used to have an introduction as head of the family being an engineer/doctor/HAS officer and sons studying in either IGMC or in engineering colleges in Maharashtra or Karnataka. Good boys like me were tutored to excel in studies so I too could join the elite club. That I didn’t is a different story.

The government service teaches one to be arrogant. The ‘servant’ (as in government servant ) is just a tag. See these servants acting as Lords once sitting on the chair. I noticed an abrupt change in my batchmates and some of the friends who finally made it to the service. One of my ex-friend and a present BDO sahib started avoiding the evening Mall road friends club once he got the joining letter. Another, now a vet doc would wait for us to come and greet him else he would just walk away. I was so naive when I joined the service that one fine day this doc guy asked me what pay scale I was in and I had no idea!!! Later when he found out I was x scale lesser to him he started avoiding me completely.

Once the power and prestige is acquired, the next step is to get sucked into the system. On job, it is time to unlearn what one has learnt all throughout. The process is like a river meeting the sea. Even if one does not have an inclination to join in, the flow ultimately lands you up their. Slowly the inner resistance starts breaking and the lure of easy money takes over. Every person has a breaking point. Some who resist face the ‘wrath’ and ultimately buckle down at some point of time. I have seen it happen to the best of person.

I chose to refuse to be a part of this system. There were initials hiccups selling the idea to my family. Eventually they agreed to my view point. There are always out of box solutions. We just have to apply those. I see people who have made it their goal to join the government service. Why does one wish to work for a rotten, stinking system!

So, what do you say?

55 Responses to "So, what do you do?"

1. viplav   November 4, 2009 at 3:40 am

so what do you actually do?
    no really…what exactally you do?

the once a year visit to home town really sucks 🙁

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 5:11 pm

Hi Viplav
      I do maintain backend of a e-commerce site. This is as far I am going to tell you 🙂

2. viplav   November 4, 2009 at 8:40 am

so what do you actually do?
    no really…what exactally you do?

the once a year visit to home town really sucks 🙁

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Hi Viplav

3. Deepak K. Thakur   November 4, 2009 at 6:47 am

Don’t let such questions put you down, Nitin. Since you’ve taken the decision to work from home, stick to it & keep your head high. Nothing wrong in living a life of dignity. No one can take that from you. Deepak

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Thanks for your comments Deepak ji. Infact dignity is something which is not there in the govt. job and I was raised with the notion of helding my head high.

BTW are you from Himtala?

• Deepak K. Thakur   November 5, 2009 at 4:54 am

Hi Nityin, that’s right. I’m from Himthala. I’m certain your Dada, someone whom I respect greatly & is close to my heart, must have given you more than sufficient inspiration and tips on holding your head high & dignity. Is your mobile number still the same or has it changed? Love, Deepak.

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 5:23 am

Deepak ji

It is his ‘inspiration’ that I could not fit myself into the system. Pls check your mailbox. My number is in there

4. Deepak K. Thakur   November 4, 2009 at 11:47 am

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm

BTW are you from Himtala?

• Deepak K. Thakur   November 5, 2009 at 9:54 am

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 10:23 am

Deepak ji

5. rajesh thakur   November 4, 2009 at 3:18 pm

I am a science graduate 1996 batch and passed out as hotel management grauduate again in 2000.Working with H.P. Govt.in tourism sector….Ha,Ha for 8 years on daily paid basis. Na baba na.Its better to work in PVt.Sector at least you are 100% of yours efforts.

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Hi Rajesh
      Thanks for stopping by. Can you let us more about where you have been working? Is it HPTDC? Hospitality sector is one of the toughest sector to work for. Where are you posted?

6. rajesh thakur   November 4, 2009 at 8:18 pm

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Hi Rajesh

7. Varun   November 4, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Working from home is a relatively new thing here in India,so as with anything new and unknown there is that weired look of amazement and confusion, Its simply a WTH! moment to those you explain it to.

(Is you nick -EDITED- by any chance and title image is of Shail Jubbr? ‘coz i think i know you)

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Hi Varun
      Yes you guessed correctly. The pic is the same and my nick is the same too. Pardon me but I am not able to recollect our association. Do guide me in the correct direction.

I know it is a WTH moment for quite a few but then being compared and demeaned to govt babus is what gets me mad!!

8. Varun   November 4, 2009 at 8:48 pm

• NITYIN   November 4, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Hi Varun

9. kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 4:12 am

Kudos! You have put together a nice site and appreciation for your writing skills. You have beautifully cited your reasons for your dislike, and the digs at the ‘stinking system’ (sic) are par excellence. Having said that ,I feel you reaction is pretty strong. Most of my family members and relatives work for this system and I can vouch for their honesty and commitment; many more of the tribe’s member works with the glorified Private Institutes who are much snotty and arrogant than your BDO friend and the guy who asked for your pay scale.

Congrats! You have a broadband. This clearly indicates you are much better off than most in the area. You would not have left the cushy “stinking system”, if you would not had an alternative to earn your livelihood. Climb to the nearest TIBA and lo! You see poverty and unemployment in Kotgarh. Why should one not aspire to work for the government service? It’s a matter of pride for an individual and helps him to pull his family out of poverty and secure his future. Who says your friendly MNCs and Private firm are so friendly. It’s another discussion…

Working from home is a fad catching up fast in Indian metros – its a ploy to save office space and rental by the friendly private players … if you work for a friendly MNC, you fell for it. One loses on developing oneself and picking up new skills unless one doesn’t won’t them and declares himself a freelancer.

In most cases we mistake pride and confidence for arrogance. Confront your BDO sahib… have a heart to heat with him… he might have a different story to tell. Don’t mistake tree for woods… there is more than what meets the eye.

I appreciate your choice. There are thousands who do not think of running because the ‘system’ gives them hope and assurance and helps them put food on the dinner table each night.

We are the system and we make a difference.

(No offence mate. It just my opinion to you last 5 words. ‘So, what do you say?’)

PS – I would be expecting contribution from you for my blog.

Cheers!

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 6:39 am

Hi Kotgarh
      There is nothing wrong in saving the office space expenditure. One can relate to it only if doesn’t see it through the govt’s prism. And if you think it is easier to maintain your job without upgrading your skills then you are mistaken. I regularly upgrade my skills or you are out of the next project. Technology helps out in this. Ever wondered when our govt. babus last had any skill upgrading? I just took it a little further to Kotgarh. Is having broadband a sign of being well off!! I was not aware of this yardstick. I mentioned it above it is a life line for my work.

Coming to your point of climbing the next tibba, let me say there has been no dearth of opportunities here. Owing to the apple success story people were quite well off than other areas. (Pls notice the word ‘were’) If people did not invest in the educational development then it is a folly future generations are paying now. Let me re-phrase your quote of joining the govt job and removing the family from poverty. Govt. job is the only way to come out of poverty given the ample ‘opportunities’ it gives to amass money. But there is a very big cost getting into one as jobs are fewer and lesser. First aspire to being a public servant and then treat public as servant, this is the absolute motto! If you are not aware of this, then my friend you are miles away from reality. Yes the system puts food on the table but only after robbing and sucking off from millions of poor in this country. If one is ok with this.. no issues then. I wasn’t. Morals and values are very attractive attributes!

If pride and confidence can be mistaken for arrogance then why it cannot be true for people working in private sector? Only thing, if one were working in a public office this pride and confidence literally translates into not so much subtle arrogance.

I can go on and on. Having gone down this road of “debate” for many years I have nothing but sore typing fingers to show for it.

Anyway, thanks for dropping in and reading all through. Please comment with a name next time as Kotgarh is a keyword for spammers on this site and your comment ends up in spam.

I will be soon taking up the issue of corruption in the system in Himachal so do check back the site.

Thanks!

• kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 10:13 am

Hello Mate!

Sorry, I seem to have spoiled your morning – I didn’t mean it. I could visualize you tapping frantically just to give a befitting replay. I knew you would come back with a vengeance. I am impressed with your retorts.

Why so bitter? I bet you would have some pleasant experience to share apart from your sore fingres and hurt.

I have no clue who hurt you and why? Maybe they were individuals or maybe the institute. But mate, why discourage people from working for the government? I am sure you are not on a mission of brain drain. Are you? (kidding).

Taking about corruption… it starts from home when one hands a sweetner to the baby than a warm hug to comfort her.

I don’t know what you did before your disillusionment with the system followed by your so called moral awakning but turning a stay at home professional seem to have done well for you. I wish you good health in the pristine and beautiful Kotgarh with dollops of success but plesae do not dwell on too much negativity.

Mate, we can make more difference when we are in the sytem than outside the system. I know sound cliche but admit its true. One just need to stand up for what is right and people follow and system change. Comeon, now don’t be cynical.

You might dismiss me as a crazy optimist.

Kotgarh is a beautiful name why add me to spam. If I tell you my name is KOTGARH, would you believe me.

PS – read couple of your old posts… again you impressed me. And please don’t spoil you afternoon, go for a walk and clear your head for the next post. Cheers!

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 11:33 am

You really believe a few words can mar my morning!!! Judging by the response above, someone’s afternoon definately got spoiled. I am not biting the bait and getting into a slanging contest with you. Let that be your domain. If you are reading my comment as a retort with a vengeance then we are not on same wave length.

• kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Hello Mate!

You much smarter than I thought. Trust me you got the best and original content on Kotgarh and your opinions are honest. I didn’t mean to derail you. You have your opinion on things and I have mine… and we both right. Lets rest this case.

Ahh.. I need a favour – can you put a post on Britishers in Kotgarh. Would wait for your next post.

Cheers!

• Varun   November 5, 2009 at 11:34 am

Being snotty and arrogant has nothing to do whether he/she is in private or public sector, its all up to the person.
          “In most cases we mistake pride and confidence for arrogance”.In most cases it is what it is.

Having a broadband is no big deal now, its the same situation now as a mobile, anyone can have it.

“poverty and unemployment in Kotgarh” That was a joke right?

“Working from home is a fad”
          Dude thats just harsh, uninformed and critical for no reason remark.
          Different people have different reasons and motives to work from home, About the point of not growing while working alone(from home), i would say its the other way round, its a far more challenging, creative, scary and more importantly a satisfying prospect.It adds more to your character.

And on “picking up new skills”, well if someone finds himself in a cesspool of inept and corrupt co-workers, what credible and beneficial skills is one expected to gain from them.
          It depends on the individual what he/she should or shouldn’t and when and how and what to get. Not a challenge if you work from home.

I don’t think the Author was necessarily “Discouraging” anyone from working in a govt. sector, i didn’t get that feel.

Now to my all time favorite “make more difference from within the system”
          I actually used to fall for this for some 10 years everytime this was discussed on TV show discussions and other debates.
          So it goes like this, you don’t like the bureaucracy well do IAS, you don’t like doctors behaving all elitist and all, well become a doctor, you don’t like the politics ,well stand for elections, and so on & on.. So actually this “make more difference from within” response is a what really is a fad.

P.S No offense here also mate. It just an opinion too, and why are you so bitter as well? Take a chill pill, Kotgarh is having low temps these days, no?

10. kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 3:42 am

We are the system and we make a difference.

PS – I would be expecting contribution from you for my blog.

Cheers!

11. kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 9:12 am

We are the system and we make a difference.

PS – I would be expecting contribution from you for my blog.

Cheers!

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 11:39 am

Hi Kotgarh

Thanks!

• kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Hello Mate!

You might dismiss me as a crazy optimist.

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 4:33 pm

• kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Hello Mate!

Cheers!

• Varun   November 5, 2009 at 4:34 pm

“poverty and unemployment in Kotgarh” That was a joke right?

“Working from home is a fad”
          Dude thats just harsh, uninformed and critical for no reason remark.

Now to my all time favorite “make more difference from within the system”

12. kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 9:43 am

Hello Mate!

You might dismiss me as a crazy optimist.

13. kotgarh   November 5, 2009 at 11:38 am

Hello Mate!

Cheers!

14. Rohin Gupta   November 5, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I am really moved by a man standing up for his values consistently, not just in words but in action. Nityin, I salute you.

As Aristotle said, “Only real obligation a man has is to convert potentiality into actuality.” And therefore, when one comes to realize that the system he is part of is making him betray his values, it is not just right but morally imperative to fight such a system. And when one realizes that no matter how honestly he or she behaves, he enhances the corrupt(not just financial, but worse corruption of soul), then it is right to move on!!

Money in itself is NOT a value. It is just a means to values like cellular phone, computer, not to mention food, clothing and shelter.
    So whenever you consume, be aware that there are people who had to think,invent, create, advertise, transport and sell these goods. And ask yourself, whether you are doing the same through your profession which gives you money.
    (In context of government job this would mean upholding the law of land honestly and persistently. And if you are in position, create correct and unambiguous laws based on the nature of right governance, which in itself is a complex subject).

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Rohan for dropping in. I think I too realised that money itself is not a value just a means to value. And such values in a corrupted environment was not worth the effort. Thanks again for putting words to my thoughts!

• Rohin Gupta   November 6, 2009 at 5:23 am

Nityin, Glad I could help!

• Rohin   November 8, 2009 at 4:23 am

I think one reason why honest people don't survive in government system is because the system does not define the criteria for honesty, except the very vague public interest. The rules are so subjective, ambiguous and bureaucratic that one has no way to act consistently even if he/she is upright. And I think the extent of corruption in the department is the extent of ambiguity in the policies.

For e.g. when both airtel and BSNL provide broadband, why is it that airtel people give you concessions and BSNL people the reverse…!! I think this aspect also needs to be investigated.

Plus, this link should be useful

15. Rohin Gupta   November 5, 2009 at 5:02 pm

• NITYIN   November 5, 2009 at 11:16 pm

• Rohin Gupta   November 6, 2009 at 10:23 am

Nityin, Glad I could help!

• Rohin   November 8, 2009 at 4:23 am

Plus, this link should be useful

16. Ravinder Makhaik   November 6, 2009 at 7:00 am

Having had the strength to stand by your convictions and moved out of a system that takes one in its muddy flow, did need courage.

Surely you must be having a better understanding of what ‘Freedom’ implies.

• NITYIN   November 6, 2009 at 7:21 am

Thank you Makhaik ji. Nice to have you here after a long time!

17. Ravinder Makhaik   November 6, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Surely you must be having a better understanding of what ‘Freedom’ implies.

• NITYIN   November 6, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Thank you Makhaik ji. Nice to have you here after a long time!

18. Neeraj Shinde   November 6, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Nityin, I wholeheartedly respect and adore your decision. I totally agree with you when you said that servants act as Lords when it comes to government service. I have some real bitter experiences myself with these species!

• nityin   November 7, 2009 at 9:54 am

Thank you Neeraj for your comments and reading all through

19. Neeraj Shinde   November 6, 2009 at 6:07 pm

• nityin   November 7, 2009 at 9:54 am

Thank you Neeraj for your comments and reading all through

20. Sumit Sharma   November 11, 2009 at 8:27 am

Great ! Great decision sir. I love that. You are absoulutely right. Persons like you are very rare in our country that is why 3rd grade persons become ministers. No vision in our society. I never feel any politician in himachal deserving his place execpt few. but people treated them like their god. This frustrated my . Beside that i would like to bring in your notice the H.P university status. Due to lack of vision and excess govt interference univ is in worst condition. i can't explain the condition of teachers. 90% teachers are politions and dont even deserve as a JBT teacher. Now you can imagine how the students feel and hoe they complete their degrees and research work. Even student politicians are a major reason for all that. There is no place in this universityfor a common hard working student. I am fed up all of this but i have no options.
    Thanks a lot for giving me a oppurtunity to express myself

P.S — your writing skill are very very good just like Chetan Bhagat. So keep it up.

21. Sumit Sharma   November 11, 2009 at 8:27 am

Thanks a lot for giving me a oppurtunity to express myself

22. Pawan Thakur   November 20, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Dear Nityin
    Congrats for successfully completing of three years of working from home. This indeed was my dream to have a way, where i could have worked from home. But it had been always impossible for me to have such option, as i am working as General Manager with hospitality industry. But your efforts are now inspiration for me and people having mentality like me.

As far as difference between Govt. and private sector is concerned, both have negative and positive. If you look at present scenario there are more options available in private sector as compared to Govt. sector am sure you will be getting more name, fame and skills as compared to your ‘’’LORD’’’ friends. Corruption is in both segments. But both sectors are part of system we are living in, we cannot be out of system i.e. working for private sector doesn’t mean that you are out of system.

Now if we think of changing this corrupt system or to have strongest nation we represent we do not need to have contradiction on various topics, we have to search the way to build a strong nation.Infact your effort of working from home may be first step as we need to nourish our roots to have better results. No doubt our roots our home.

I am sure if there are permanent users of broadband in your area, they will help this facility to work better, if not then you have done a great work as initially you will be the first one to fight with a small part of system (BSNL- as they remains at back foot as compared to other service providers) to get good result.

Last but not least I like your way of working from home, may you get good results and can inspire others to have improvisations in their respective fields.

Thanks