The Hindi medium types!

Traveling in a local bus the other day I could not stop overhearing a conversation between two pretty young things sitting behind my seat. They were exchanging notes on guys who had been interested in them.

Suddenly one of them said, “Don’t tell, you interested in that Hindi medium types!” This is something which caught my attention. Hindi medium types! Sorry.. come again… what did you say?

Being myself a Hindi medium type, from DAV Lakkar Bazaar, I wonder what is wrong with us, the Hindi medium types (HMTs). We had the best of education, a whaling time on playgrounds, can read and speak fluent Hindi unless like our more unfortunate ‘country’ cousins from the public schools. When it comes to speaking English, we become the ‘country’ cousins though. But hey.. girley… you only wanna see how good the guy is speaking English in front of your friends. That’s it!

Learning to speak fluent English for us, HMTs, is a Herculean task. I remember in school we had our science studies in Hindi. I was well versed with all the siddhant (principles) in physics and expert in solving mathematical equations in Hindi. It was a different matter all together that I could not make a difference between principle and principal till very late in life. So do we HMTs miss out on not being on the ‘principle’ list of the ‘hip’ girls. Na.. I guess I would have loved to hate someone who would be correcting my grammar everyday, whereas we should’ve been doing more interesting things like checking geography 🙂

My better half found this ‘useless’ HMT. Geetali Tare may cry hoarse about missing theater in Shimla but I met my soul mate in the back stage of Kalibari hall and Gaiety theatre. She used to perform for her school and I would be there to cheer up mine but eventually ended up cheering the wrong one! No where in our courtship (it was for 14 years!) the matter of HMTs or PSTs (public school types) ever came up. Love happened gradually.

Love involves respect and one has to earn it from your partner. My better half shifted to the apple farm after marriage and stayed there for three years tending to the farm, the cattle. It was a collective decision. She married me when I had left my well paying job in Ahmedabad and was settling back in the hills. This after her having a sheltered life in Shimla and some great schooling. Better than mine at least!

There is too much to be experienced in courtship. Never ever court anyone judging his/her back ground or the wallet. Let it happen!

33 Responses to "The Hindi medium types!"

1. Cuckoo   July 31, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Good read. Have linked you on Blogbharti.

2. Cuckoo   July 31, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Good read. Have linked you on Blogbharti.

3. Goli   August 1, 2008 at 5:02 am

You forgot to mention dairy and diary, this is one eternal confusions that I always had till few years back. I could entirely relate to your post.

All the teachers in my school used to teach in Hindi, and I remember having written on one of my random notes during school that, “Today we have new English teacher, and she teaches in English”.

4. Goli   July 31, 2008 at 11:02 pm

5. उन्मुक्त   August 1, 2008 at 9:39 am

मैं भी हिन्दी मीडियम टाईप हूं और मेरी पत्नी भारत के जाने माने अंग्रेजी स्कूल से – पब्लिक स्कूल टाईप। पर हमारा रिशते में कोई कमी नहीं। शायद जिनको अपने पर विश्वास नहीं होता वे ही इन सब की चिन्ता करते हैं।

6. उन्मुक्त   August 1, 2008 at 3:39 am

7. Adnan   August 1, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Good one. That’s typical Indian middle-class hypocrisy. Ghulamana zehniyat ka suboot. But that’s true, English speaking guys and gals always have it easy in career and everywhere else. Even if they have poor IQ and the HMT has better understanding of his subject.

8. Adnan   August 1, 2008 at 7:12 am

9. NITYIN   August 1, 2008 at 2:17 pm

@Cuckoo

Thanks! I read your comments on the other message.. Thanks again!!

@Goli

Even now, there and their, apni samajh se bahar hai 🙂

@Unmukt

Yes, this is what I wanted to say. Sorry if it has sounded like PSTs bashing but when two adults have a complete understanding, HMT & PST does not matter.

@Adnan

I remember, we HMTs type here in Himachal had an option to learn one additional language in standard ix and x and it used to be either Urdu or Punjabi. So technically we HMTs are more proficient (read literate) and able to read and write one additional language where as our PSTs counterpart can’t even write English with proper grammer nor can they speak correct English without rendering words of Hindi.

10. NITYIN   August 1, 2008 at 8:17 am

@Cuckoo

Thanks! I read your comments on the other message.. Thanks again!!

@Goli

Even now, there and their, apni samajh se bahar hai 🙂

@Unmukt

@Adnan

11. basskeyz   August 1, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Bahut acha likha hai..dost.
    You know this thinking permeates even beyond school..bhaia IIT/IIM mein pade ho to tej hoge..nahi to pata nahi. So much so that people who don’t make it to these institutes after they tried for it actually feel bad.
    Hey I personally know people who are intelligent no matter where they got their education…your school helps in your education but is not the only place for your education (in fact if it is..you are in trouble)

12. basskeyz   August 1, 2008 at 2:03 pm

Bahut acha likha hai..dost.

13. d sinner   August 5, 2008 at 6:21 am

nice one!

Kids in Shimla have (I feel) become concerned only about fashion and maybe such typically stupid things!

About english and hindi, it is a shock that these kids don’t know hindi actually, neither are they asked to learn it (except by their hindi teacher of course)

the trend I would say started when I was in school (say about 4-5 years back) and I’ve noticed how it has grown. What they don’t understand is that Hindi is a language too and there is nothing wrong in becoming fluent with it.

P.S- ask any student currently in tenth to spell a few words of hindi or write…and i bet he/she would do a lotta mistakes!

14. d sinner   August 5, 2008 at 11:51 am

nice one!

15. d sinner   August 5, 2008 at 5:51 pm

nice one!

16. Raman Sharma   September 12, 2008 at 4:59 pm

very interesting article… I’m also one of HMTs 😉

17. Raman Sharma   September 12, 2008 at 10:59 am

very interesting article… I’m also one of HMTs 😉

18. Varun   September 21, 2008 at 6:14 am

I am from a so called convent school, where took pride in speaking in Hindi in the school campus. It was carpe diem ! against the school authorities for passing an order to speak only in English language … so guess HMT is something which I would love to subscribe to.

Somehow being educated in English gets me in odd situations too. Work in Shimla involves speaking to people in rural areas and it becomes difficult to put my opinion in public meetings. Something which makes me fee quite odd.

Then while we were kids, you had cousins coming from defence background who would speak only in english with their parents and here I was finding myself speechless in most of such conversations.

19. Varun   September 21, 2008 at 12:14 am

20. Himanshu Khagta   September 29, 2008 at 10:29 am

Nice One

I’m forwarding the link to all my PST friends. Hope they’ll learn something.

21. Himanshu Khagta   September 29, 2008 at 4:29 am

Nice One

I’m forwarding the link to all my PST friends. Hope they’ll learn something.

22. NITYIN   September 29, 2008 at 7:39 pm

@Baskkeyz

Absolutely agree with your observation

@Raman

Thanks and welcome mate to the HMT group 🙂

@Varun

Knowing you I know, it could only be carpe diem !. At one point of time a cousin who studied at Bishop Cotton, I would simply listen to his accent and then copy this at home. I would read the entire newspaper in his accent 🙂 I think I grew up the fixation of speaking in english very early.

@Himanshu

This blog is for your generation 🙂

23. NITYIN   September 29, 2008 at 1:39 pm

@Baskkeyz

Absolutely agree with your observation

@Raman

Thanks and welcome mate to the HMT group 🙂

@Varun

@Himanshu

This blog is for your generation 🙂

24. Shivee   November 17, 2009 at 11:20 am

It's really impressive… n yes.. such things infuse u with lotza "HONSLA"…now i dun think i will go to a land where i will meet ALIENS 🙂 🙂

• nityin   November 17, 2009 at 11:43 am

Great that you liked it. 🙂

25. Shivee   November 17, 2009 at 11:20 am

• nityin   November 17, 2009 at 11:43 am

Great that you liked it. 🙂

26. aarkay   November 23, 2009 at 6:51 am

I am also an HMT and am proud of being one. Did my Masters in English and top positions in our batch were bagged by HMTs.We left PSTs far behind in score.English language is still my first love, but I am not for snobbery ( borrowed Angreziat ) of any kind.

• NITYIN   November 23, 2009 at 8:17 am

Nicely put RK. Angreziyat is the root cause of the entire fasad 🙂

27. aarkay   November 23, 2009 at 11:51 am

• NITYIN   November 23, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Nicely put RK. Angreziyat is the root cause of the entire fasad 🙂

28. Homer   February 23, 2010 at 10:01 pm

Why do HMT's pronounce Zee's as Jss…All ijj waaal, sand instead of send, etc.

29. NITYIN   February 23, 2010 at 10:54 pm

This has nothing to do with HMTs.. It depends on the pronunciation/lingo in different parts of the country. You may find south Indians pronunciation is affected by their local lingo.

Thanks for reading all through!