Rudy Giuliani said the Trump campaign is dropping the lawsuit related to the Michigan election

Rudy Giuliani said the Trump campaign is dropping the lawsuit related to the Michigan election

Monica Palmer, Chair of the Wayne County Board of Directors, speaks with Vice President Jonathan Kinloch prior to a board meeting on Tuesday, November 17, 2020 in Detroit.

Robin Paxon | Detroit News AP

President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign has dropped an election-related lawsuit in Michigan, the latest development in the multi-nation effort to challenge President-elect Joe Biden’s expected electoral victory.

In a lawsuit Thursday morning, Trump’s campaign attorney said the lawsuit, which sought to halt validation of ballot papers in Wayne County, Michigan, was withdrawn because the county council of commissioners “met and refused to certify the presidential election results.”

But this statement is wrong: the board Voice to authenticate Results, after a protest against Republican members who initially voted disbelief.

Two Republican Party members now say they have canceled their vote. But state officials say this is not possible, and that the certification is official.

In a statement from the Trump campaign, former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani said, “This morning we are withdrawing our invitation in Michigan.”

Giuliani said the withdrawal came “as a direct result of the relief we sought: stopping the elections in Wayne County prematurely before residents are certain that every legal vote has counted and every illegal vote has not been counted.”

The Trump campaign’s federal lawsuit attempted to prevent Wayne County, which includes Detroit, from certifying election results until a large number of votes were cut from the final tally.

Wayne County is Michigan’s most populous region, and Biden overwhelmingly voted Trump – 68% to 31%, respectively.

The county’s board of commissioners became a major focus ahead of the national certification of election results next month. Two Republican board members initially refused to endorse the Wayne County vote, before holding back earlier this week after widespread criticism.

READ  New Jersey imposes new capacity restrictions after the emergency COMO summit; The Fate of New York City Schools in Limbo - NBC New York

Shortly thereafter, both members reversed themselves again. As of Wednesday, the pollsters were calling for their vote to be canceled, and they signed written affidavits that were included in the Trump campaign’s withdrawal notice on Thursday.

Media reported that Trump called the commissioners directly on Tuesday evening.

The defendants’ attorneys and interfering in the case did not immediately comment

One of the investigators, William Hartman, wrote in his affidavit that he was “tempted to agree to the certification on the basis of the promise of a full and independent audit.”

Hartman wrote, “I would not have agreed to the testimony had it not been for the promise of an audit.”

“I absolutely believe that the Wayne County vote should not be certified,” Monica Palmer, another Republican member, wrote in her affidavit.

A spokeswoman for Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson said the fight was over.

“There is no legal mechanism for them to cancel their vote. Their mission has been accomplished and the next step in the process is for the Council of State Inspectors to meet and approve them,” Press Secretary Anita Kirsnowski told NBC News.

This is the development of the news. . Please check back for updates

Written By
More from Arzu

The pre-election vote surpassed all early 2016 ballots with X days remaining until Election Day

More than 58.7 million Americans have voted to date, according to a...
Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *