The WHO’s Covid team has been banned from entering China to study the origins of the Coronavirus

The WHO's Covid team has been banned from entering China to study the origins of the Coronavirus

The Director-General of the World Health Organization, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said that two scientists on the UN team had already left their countries for Wuhan when they were told that Chinese officials had not approved the necessary permits to enter the country.

The arrangements were jointly agreed with China in advance.

“I am very disappointed with this news,” Tedros told a news conference in Geneva on Tuesday. “I have been in contact with senior Chinese officials and have made clear once again that the mission is a priority for the World Health Organization and the international team.”

Tedros said the WHO was “keen to start the mission as soon as possible” and that he had received assurances that Beijing was speeding up internal procedures “for deployment as soon as possible.”

Dr Michael Ryan, Executive Director of the WHO Health Emergencies Program, said there was a problem with the visas and that one of the team members had already returned home. The other was waiting to cross in a third country.

WHO officials have long been negotiating with Beijing to allow a team of global scientists to access key sites to investigate the origin of the virus – which was first detected in Wuhan in December 2019 – and the possible jump from an unknown host species to humans.

In May, the World Health Organization He agreed to conduct an investigation In the global response to the epidemic after more than 100 countries signed a resolution calling for an independent investigation.

Ryan said the team hoped it was “just a logistical and bureaucratic issue” that could be resolved “in good faith in the coming hours and resume deployment of the team as soon as possible.”

READ  Live updates: Trump's legal team loses the Wisconsin case, says another in the state Supreme Court

At a press conference on Wednesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said that China has “always pursued an open, transparent and responsible attitude” on tracing the origins of the virus.

Hua said China had previously welcomed WHO experts to the country, and said the UN investigation team and Chinese experts “maintained frequent interactions”, including four video-conference meetings between October and December.

“In order to ensure the smooth operation of the international expert group coming to China, there is a need to implement the necessary measures and make relevant specific arrangements. The two sides are still negotiating about this,” Hua said.

They are “ready to go,” said Marion Koopmans, a Dutch virologist who heads the department of virology at the Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam and is part of the investigation team bound for China.

Copmans said they were told that nothing was forbidden while in China, and they said that the team would work in cooperation with their Chinese colleagues “look at the data, talk to people with experience, and draw conclusions from what has been accomplished and what can be based on it.”

She said it was important to understand the origins of how the virus was transmitted to humans because “no country has no risk of disease emerging. It is something we need to understand, so that the whole world can prepare.”

“We really need to be patient, not judgmental,” Koopmans said. “It’s delicate work and it will take time.”

Political tensions

The United States and Australia led the charge in criticizing the way China handled the early stages of the epidemic, and accused Beijing of underestimating its severity and preventing an effective response until it is too late.

US President Donald Trump has repeatedly blamed China for the outbreak of the global pandemic Advertise The United States will end its relationship with the World Health Organization, saying that China has not properly reported the information it has about the coronavirus and has pressed the WHO to “mislead the world.”
The United States called for transparency in WHO’s operations in China. In November, Garrett Gregisby of the US Department of Health and Human Services Of the World Health Organization Assembly The terms of the investigation with China “have not been negotiated in a transparent manner” and “it appears that the investigation itself is inconsistent” with his mandate.
A collection of confidential documents CNN got it last year From the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in Hubei Province – where the virus was first detected in 2019 – showed how Chinese officials provided the world with more optimistic data than they were able to access internally, by not initially reporting case numbers during the early stages of Outbreaks.
The last possible suspect in China in its search for foreign sources of the Corona virus? Auto parts packaging
As countries around the world struggle as new infections escalate and spread, China appears to be recovering. Last month, the country Recorded positive economic growth For the second consecutive quarter.

Foreign Minister Wang Yi praised China’s efforts in fighting the epidemic at home and abroad, saying the country had “launched a global emergency humanitarian campaign” and “helped build consensus on a global response to Covid-19.”

As the WHO team prepares to initiate, Chinese officials and government media They questioned the origins of the virus“More and more research indicates that the epidemic was most likely caused by separate outbreaks in multiple places in the world,” he said, according to Wang.
on Monday, Circulate reports On Chinese social media, the virus has been detected on auto parts packaging in multiple cities, including from foreign brands.

For months, China had been testing and disinfecting frozen products imported from abroad, fearing that the virus would return to the country in this way, even as experts continued to question this as a possible source of infection.

READ  Amanda Kluts on Trump's Covid comments: Nick Cordero's widow describes the president's view as "a dagger in the heart"

The World Health Organization says it is “very unlikely that people will catch Covid-19 from food or food packaging,” and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says the risk is “believed to be very low”. Both insist that there is no evidence of such a transfer, and the countries have even threatened to file a case against China at the World Trade Organization over import restrictions.

Written By
More from Arzu

AMC Theaters warns that cash may run out by the end of 2020

AMC Theaters is warning investors that without the steady flow of movies...
Read More

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *